Pages

Sunday, June 7, 2015

Trying new things

I promised myself that this upcoming round of ivf using a donor egg I would be willing to try anything to help increase my chances.  Well either I've lost my mind or I am just really desperate for a child I decided to start doing accupuncture.  Yep you read that correctly.  

Where you willingly lay on a table and have someone stick needles in your body.  Crazy right!  Although it's not going to fix my genetic condition I figured it is not going to hurt!  So I started 3 weeks ago.  I had my 3rd session today and it's going well.  Let me start off with my first time...

I go to this cute little Chinese lady "jing". She has been doing this for more than 25 years.  I had my first appointment a few weeks ago and she read my pulses and had me hold some metal stick thing to measure my energy balance and pulses.  After she finished she was able to show me a graph on the computer about how healthy and balanced I was...  Needless to say according to her readings I'm not and I am very unhealthy.  She's going to fix me though.   Now I almost started laughing after she told me this ( hello I am a nurse and practice western medicine and usually think this eastern Chinese medicine is a little crazy but again, I reminded myself to be open minded).  I held my composure and listened to what she had to say and then followed her into an exam room.

She had me change into a gown and then came back in.  The accupuncture session started with her massaging my head, scalp, ears, arms, and legs.  She then stuck about 10 needles in total on my head, stomach, wrists, and feet.  She turned a heat lamp on my stomach turned the lights off and left me to Lay there.

Again I started laughing to myself... Seriously this is nuts.  I've lost my mind.  I just willingly let a complete stranger stick 10 needles in me and leave them in and walk away.  All I could think about was how stupid this was.  I didn't feel anything.  And then all of a sudden things started to change.  I felt it.  This overwhelming tingling numbing sensation.  It felt as if my legs were pulsing and I started to panic.  Oh lord did she paralyze me, is this normal, what is this?  I wiggled my toes, yep they moved, wiggled my legs, yes they moved. Oh thank heavens I was fine so I laid there longer.  Thankfully jing came to check on me and I asked if this was normal and ok.  She told me this was good, it was the energy I was feeling.  

So I laid there for a while longer, numb, still in shock that such tiny needles could create such an intense feeling.  Eventually she came in and pulled them out and as quickly as the feeling came on it just as quickly ended.  So needless so say after my first time I was convinced that maybe this isn't so nuts after all.  Hence why I now have gone 3 times.

Each time she has placed more needles in different spots and each time the same overwhelming tingling body numbing feeling sensation comes back.  It really is nuts.  A sensation I've never felt before.  She's focusing on points or meridians ( which is the special lingo she uses) to help lower my stress and anxiety and help with circulation to my fertility organs.  Sometimes I feel like I'm a ball of nerves with all of this in vitro stuff. I am not sure if I feel different quite yet, too hard to tell but I have been sleeping better.

Not much else has changed.  We are just waiting to get clearance and the go ahead that our baby momma is good to go.  So keep waiting with us, it's the hardest and worst part about all of this!
Just in case you wondered how big the needle is.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment