Pages

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

6 years and counting!

This year more than ever I realize that I am really lucky to have a beautiful sound marriage. A few of my close girlfriends marriages fell apart this year and more than ever made me realize I never should take my marriage for granted, especially everything we continue to go through.

 Infertility is such a stressful thing to go through and can really be taxing on a marriage. Most people I talk with that I haven't talked with for a while always ask after I finish catching them up in my baby drama... and how are you and Matt? I can honestly say we are great and Through the whole process I have never once questioned my marriage but there have been plenty of days and nights where I think to my self... This really sucks.

Matt and I always spend our Anniversary reminiscing about the past year.  It has allowed us to reflect on how we've grown as a couple and look back to all of the good things that have happened to us over the year.  We also spend time reminiscing about the good, bad, ugly, happy, funny, embarrassing, weird, and sad moments of the year.  And man have we had a lot of ups and downs yet again.

I asked Matt, through his whole process, has he ever looked at me and questioned us.  What we have gone through, has he asked himself is this worth it?  Will our marriage fall apart?  Are we ok?  
His answer... Raw, a little hard to hear, but honest and totally appropriate.  He answered that no he doesn't think we will ever fall a part because through this whole journey we have fallen more in love with each other but that the past years have definitely been a challenge and not always the most fun.

I agree.  We've been a little more distant with our friends (sorry for that if you are reading this). And a lot more boring!  I constantly struggle with .... Well should we do this? Should we go out? No I don't want to spend the money.... we have ivf coming up.... nah let's pass.... I don't want to go out because I don't want to drink.  In a nutshell I am REALLY GOOD AT MAKING EXCUSES.  I hate that feeling because Matt and I love to spend time with friends and going out but it's constantly a battle of eh maybe next time!!!

So what did we do to celebrate??? We went out with a bang!   I mean a full day!! We celebrated from sun up until sun down.  Not really but it felt like it.   It's not even that big of a deal but when most of our time is spent entertaining ourselves at home or going out a handful of times here and there with friends it makes going out on dates just that much more special. 

So here's a recap of Matt and Jenn's Naperville adventure celebrating 6 years of wedding bliss!  

First Matt got me a new roof for our Anniversary the Wednesday before!  What a guy right?  I know ladies... Be jealous!  Be very jealous!!
                          

Then we celebrated by going to the naperville farmers market to get fresh pastries and berries.  I got an amazing strawberry scone and Matt got a yummy brioche toast/bread thing with orange and almond past and shredded almonds.  We then walked along the naperville river walk and parked our butt for a picnic breakfast with pastries and fresh blackberries.  We then hit a cute local chocolate shop called Le Chocolat De Bouchard and had a delectable Carmel latte.
                                               

After we finished our treats we drove to a local park called Morton Arboretum and rented a tandem bike and peddled 16 miles enjoying each others laughter, beautiful scenery, and our competitive nature to "push hard" to get up those dang hills.  I haven't laughed that hard in a long time but tandem biking really adds a lot to a date day.  I literally almost peed my pants it was so funny.


After our date at the Morton Arboretum we headed home for a bit, rested, and cleaned up to head back to downtown Naperville for a little wine tasting at Devine Celler and had dinner at Meson Sabika.  It's a cute little tapas place that we had been to in the winter but this time we got to sit outside on there patio.  We finished the night by a surprise glass of champagne the waiter brought to us ( I had reserved a table a few weeks prior and noted it was our anniversary).
                
                                                       

Lastly one more glass of wine at home, a little dessert, and a cute little card for each other.  Matt and I don't do gifts for our anniversary for each other.  We have taken some advice from others an albeit boring get practical gifts for each other like roofs, a new bed, a trip, etc..

0 comments:

Post a Comment